More about process than ingredients, Dad very carefully taught me how to make his grilled cheese sandwiches this way so that they came out perfect every time. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the slices of cheddar cheese; not too thick, but not skimpy, either; cut one slice in half.
- 2Take the two slices of bread and generously butter each of them on one side.
- 3Heat up a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- 4Get yourself the cover from a Revereware saucepan, or another cover of about the same size.
- 5Place one of the slices of bread, butter side down, in the hot skillet.
- 6Spread 2 and a half slices of cheese on the bread, then cover it butter-side-up with the other slice of bread; eat the extra, unused half of the cheese slice.
- 7Push the bread down a little with the metal spatula, then cover the whole thing up with the saucepan lid (the idea is to heat the air up underneath the lid and melt the cheese faster as you're also browning the bread).
- 8Uncover every minute and check the cooking bread color- you want it golden, not burnt (no matter what Mom says - she likes 'em black for some reason).
- 9When it's to the color you like, carefully flip the sandwich over, press down on it with the spatula to squish the bread and cheese together, and re-cover with the saucepan to continue melting the cheese.
- 10After about 3-5 minutes of slow cooking, you'll have a wonderfully golden, melty, gooey grilled cheese sandwich!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dad's Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 892.8
- Calories from Fat 492
- Total Fat 54.7 g
- Saturated Fat 33.1 g
- Cholesterol 149.2 mg
- Sodium 1464.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 32.4 g