This is my husband's family recipe for making pecan pralines. He is asked every Christmas to make these delicious pralines.
- In a large 3 1/2 quart-size saucepan, combine sugar, baking soda, buttermilk, and salt. Cook over high heat for about 5 minutes or until the mixture reaches 210 degrees on a candy thermometer. Stir often scraping the bottom and sides. The mixture will foam up.
- Add butter, pecans, and vanilla.
- Over medium heat, continue cooking.
- Stir constantly scraping bottom and sides until the mixture reaches softball stage (235 degrees on a candy thermometer or spinning a thread).
- Remove mixture from heat.
- Cool slightly (about 2 minutes). Beat with spoon until thick and creamy.
- Drop from a tablespoon onto sheet of alumium foil or wax paper. Let cool. Store in an airtight container.