Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I grew up on this recipe - it was a family favourite and I now make it for my husband and children and they all love it, too. We like things spicy, so I've added cayenne powder to my version.
- 2 -3 cups macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup hard butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs or 3⁄4 cup crushed unsalted cracker
- Cook and drain macaroni; rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, melt butter or margarine either in a pot on the stove or in a microwavable container in the microwave.
- Stir in flour.
- Add milk and cook, stirring frequently (5 - 6 minutes in the microwave, stirring every minute) until thickened.
- Add seasonings and continue cooking on stove or in microwave for 1 - 2 minutes longer.
- Add 1 1/2 cups cheese and stir until melted (may need to be cooked for 1 more minute to melt the cheese).
- Grease a large casserole dish and pour in macaroni noodles and cheese sauce, stirring to mix. My dad always layered the noodles and sauce, so that's an option, too.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top, followed by the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 25 - 30 minutes, or until mixture is heated through and the cheese on top is completely melted.
Fantastic! We were looking for a baked mac 'n' cheese that didn't use as much cheese but still had a great flavour, and this fully delivered. Made it exactly to recipe with leftover macaroni noodles the night before, and will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing this!
This came out great! It was wonderfully creamy and cheesy with a spicy kick. That is definitely my idea of a good macaroni and cheese. Everyone who tried it raved. Thanks for the great recipe! I will be making it many more times.
My boyfriend was very skeptical as he watched me prepare this dish, but it turned out very well. I also added paprika and not much cayenne because he doesn't like spicy stuff. Definitely a make again.