Recipe by Jaime in Winnipeg
I grew up on this recipe - it was a family favourite and I now make it for my husband and children and they all love it, too. We like things spicy, so I've added cayenne powder to my version.
Top Review by Torricus
Fantastic! We were looking for a baked mac 'n' cheese that didn't use as much cheese but still had a great flavour, and this fully delivered. Made it exactly to recipe with leftover macaroni noodles the night before, and will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing this!
- 2 -3 cups macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup hard butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs or 3⁄4 cup crushed unsalted cracker
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and drain macaroni; rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, melt butter or margarine either in a pot on the stove or in a microwavable container in the microwave.
- Stir in flour.
- Add milk and cook, stirring frequently (5 - 6 minutes in the microwave, stirring every minute) until thickened.
- Add seasonings and continue cooking on stove or in microwave for 1 - 2 minutes longer.
- Add 1 1/2 cups cheese and stir until melted (may need to be cooked for 1 more minute to melt the cheese).
- Grease a large casserole dish and pour in macaroni noodles and cheese sauce, stirring to mix. My dad always layered the noodles and sauce, so that's an option, too.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top, followed by the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 25 - 30 minutes, or until mixture is heated through and the cheese on top is completely melted.