Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A slight variation on Tyler Florence's "Dad's Meatloaf." After my sister raved about it, I tried my hand at it and it was a hit. This is a healthier version with less fat and one less egg yolk.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 4 ounces fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ounce dried parsley
tomato relish (use 1/2 cup)
- 4 large tomatoes
- 3 red peppers
- 2 onions
- 4 ounces ketchup
- For the tomato relish, chop tomatoes, peppers, and onions into a medium dice. Saute over high heat. Finish with ketchup. Lower heat. Reduce to a simmer.
- For the Meatloaf, in a large mixing bowl, using a fork, combine 1/2 cup of the tomato relish, the ground meats, egg and egg white, bread crumbs, garlic and skim milk.
- Finish with olive oil, and then lightly pack into a 9-inch loaf pan.
- Cover with half the remaining relish and place in the middle of a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes to one hour or until the center of the meat loaf reaches 170 degrees.
- Allow meatloaf to cool 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with additional relish.
the best meatloaf I've ever had
I loved this meatloaf! With mashed potatoes and stewed tomatoes, it was quite enjoyed! I especially liked the Tomato Relish. Yum!