1/1 Photo of Dad's Lasagna
1 hr 5 mins
Like my father's rib recipe which I've also posted, this is a recipe which some old buddies of mine recently requested that I post. Back when we all were a little younger, the guys used to come over everytime my Dad made his lasagne. Maybe it was the free meal or maybe it was just that good but this recipe is the reason why lasagna has always been one of my favorite foods. I know that you can substitute ground beef for the sausage (or use both combined) with equal success. I've posted this as 6-10 servings but I know from experience that 4 big guys can polish this off and still ask for more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon whole basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb canned tomato
- 12 ounces canned tomato paste (2 cans usually)
- 10 ounces lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups fresh ricotta or 3 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced very thin
- 1Remove sausage skins and break up the sausage in frying pan.
- 2Brown meat slowly and spoon off excess fat.
- 3Add garlic, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- 4Simmer, covered for 15 minutes; stir often.
- 5Set aside when finished.
- 6Meanwhile, cook noodles in boiling salted water until tender; drain; rinse.
- 7In a large bowl, beat eggs; add Ricotta, Parmesan, Parsley, pepper and a tsp of salt.
- 8Mix well.
- 9Now in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish; Layer half the noodles; spread with half the Ricotta cheese/egg mixture; add half the thinly sliced mozzarella and then half the meat sauce.
- 11Bake at 375 F degrees for about 30 minutes.
- 12Alternatively, you could refrigerate until later and then bake for 45 minutes.
- 13Either way let the lasagna stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dad's Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1000.5
- Calories from Fat 527
- Total Fat 58.6 g
- Saturated Fat 29.6 g
- Cholesterol 235.0 mg
- Sodium 2788.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 59.8 g