Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
This is my dads recipe for Boston Baked Beans. They are sweet and a little tangy what beans should taste like to me. The end result can be a little juicy, if you like your beans thicker, by all means just cook them to the consistency that you prefer. Also, the mustard and ketchup are not set in stone, they are simply one part mustard to three parts ketchup.
- Put your beans in a baking dish to soak overnight with the water and the onion.
- The next day boil your beans in the soaking water until the crack when pushed between two spoons.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Celsius.
- Mix together the mustard, ketchup, molasses and brown sugar and add to the boiling water. You can add your salt and pepper here to.
- Cut your salt pork, or any other pork product you would like to use and add this to the mixture as well.
- Put in oven and check after an hour and a half for moisture levels. If you feel it needs more water add about 1/4 cup at a time.
- Remove from oven after another hour and a half cooking time and check the constancy, It should be juicy but not watery.