Recipe by Mommy Diva
We like ours a little chunkier and not as pureed as most - so bear that in mind as you prepare this summer treat!!! An easy dish to whip up for any size group - just increase ingredients proportionately. I grew up eating this - my Dad made it ALL the time for many occassions!! Thanks, Dad!!! ****Cook time is CHILL time. ;) On a side note - a little splash of white wine added to this doesn't hurt if you are of a mind to do so - we generally do!
- 1 cup v 8 vegetable juice or 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped and seeded and cut into approx. 1/8th inch pieces
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and cut into approx. 1/8th inch pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth (can be made vegetarian, exchange for vegan vegetable broth)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onions, preferably Walla Walla or 1⁄2 cup vidalia onion
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, to taste
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 dash Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Add equal parts V-8 juice and chicken broth to crushed garlic clove in a large pan (no heat.
- Add in olive oil, onions and green peppers.
- Chop seeded tomatoes and cucumbers to desired size (or use food processor) and add to pan.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a dash or two of tabasco for flavor.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes, 2 hours or more are better for flavors to kick in!
- Serve with french bread, brie and pate` if available.