Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My dad has been frying fish in this batter since at least the 1970's. The breading is somewhat sweet. We think it's important to use 7-up and Aunt Jemima pancake mix. A biscuit mix does not work!
- Cut fish into pieces no larger than 2 inches.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Flour fish in small batches in a Ziploc bag, then lay on a plate.
- Allow fish to sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat 3-4 inches oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix 7up, egg, pancake mix, and sugar.
- Individually dip fish into batter and then gently place in oil.
- Fry about 5 pieces at a time. Oil should be at a simmer when fish is cooking. Fry on both sides until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.