Recipe by Kenda's Kitchen
My dad has been frying fish in this batter since at least the 1970's. The breading is somewhat sweet. We think it's important to use 7-up and Aunt Jemima pancake mix. A biscuit mix does not work!
- 7 ounces lemon-lime flavored soda
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 lb crappie, cleaned and deboned (or other whitefish)
- 1 cup flour, to flour fish
- 4 cups vegetable oil (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut fish into pieces no larger than 2 inches.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Flour fish in small batches in a Ziploc bag, then lay on a plate.
- Allow fish to sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat 3-4 inches oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix 7up, egg, pancake mix, and sugar.
- Individually dip fish into batter and then gently place in oil.
- Fry about 5 pieces at a time. Oil should be at a simmer when fish is cooking. Fry on both sides until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.