Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is really my Dad's recipe which he taught me to make here in Orlando, FL - USA! We were too tired to cook anything fancy, so this seemed to be what dad wanted to eat with Potato Bread from Walgreens and some Heinz Tomato Ketchup on the side. I am amazed at how simple this recipe is and yet, how nice it tastes! In my opinion, this is the best thing you can make quickly when guests topple in all of a sudden. I also feel this makes for a nice picnic snack. This is a popular appetiser too in India! Enjoy!
- 1 potato, washed,peeled and sliced in thin concentric circles
- water, as required
- salt, as required
- oil, to deep fry
For the batter
- 1 1⁄2 cups gram flour (known as "besan" in Hindi)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, peel and slice a medium-sized potato into thin concentric circles.
- Make sure you slice the potato thin and not thick.
- Pour 2 1/2 cups of water in a bowl.
- Add salt to taste (2-3 tsps) and mix well.
- Add the potato slices to this salted water.
- Mix well.
- Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, make a thick batter with your besan flour, red chilli powder, baking soda, salt and 1 cup of water.
- Now drain out the water from the potato slices.
- Dip the slices of potato in the gramflour batter.
- Allow the slices to be coated with the batter on both sides.
- Heat oil in a frying pan while you are doing this.
- Once the oil is hot, and the slices are ready, drop them gently into the oil.
- I ALWAYS make it a point to lower the flame/heat when adding the slices of potato to the hot oil.
- I dont want ANY MORE spillovers or kitchen fires!
- Let the slices fry in the oil.
- Once the slices are golden brown on one side, turn over and allow them to fry the same way till they are golden brown on the other side.
- Remove from the pan once fried and drain the excess oil on a clean paper kitchen towel.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve immediately (HOT) with Tomato ketchup and white/potato bread.
- You can also serve this with green chutney.
- NOTE: The secret of making this very well is to slice the potato thin and not thick.
- If you slice the potato thick, then, the potato will not cook and remain raw even once fried!