1 hr 30 mins
My Dad loves this almost as much as he loves a good steak dinner. This one's for you Pops.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a big saucepan, melt the butter; add the onions, salt and pepper, and mustard.
- 2Saute over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned (20-30 minutes).
- 3Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- 4Add the stock and wine; stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- 5Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 6Note: can be made in the crock-pot and cooked on LOW all day after the ingredients are browned.
- 7To serve: place French bread slices in oven-proof bowls, add cheeses over the bread.
- 8Pour soup over the bread and place bowls under the broiler until the cheese melts.
- 9Note: I put the bowls on a baking sheet then place them in the oven under the broiler.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dad's Favorite French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.4
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 667.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 2.9 g