Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Dad loves this almost as much as he loves a good steak dinner. This one's for you Pops.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb onion, peeled and finely sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup white wine
- French bread, sliced and lightly toasted
- swiss cheese, sliced or shredded
- parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- In a big saucepan, melt the butter; add the onions, salt and pepper, and mustard.
- Saute over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are browned (20-30 minutes).
- Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Add the stock and wine; stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Note: can be made in the crock-pot and cooked on LOW all day after the ingredients are browned.
- To serve: place French bread slices in oven-proof bowls, add cheeses over the bread.
- Pour soup over the bread and place bowls under the broiler until the cheese melts.
- Note: I put the bowls on a baking sheet then place them in the oven under the broiler.
Great recipe... easy to make and tasty with a bit of zing to it. I've made it three times now and it still tstes great Careful with the wine though.
I used this recipe to figure out how to add and cook the bread and cheese! I didn't have time to make the soup and used Progresso French Onion Soup in a can. Nevertheless, your technique for broiling the cheese and bread worked perfectly! I would have never thought to put the bread first, then the cheese, then pour the soup. I put a just a little cheese on top of the soup too. Boars Head Imported Swiss was very zesty and flavorful. My husband loved this. I put the bowl into the toaster oven and it browned beautifully. Thank you very much.
Fantastic dish. It has become a family favorite. Skipped on the wine. Still was great.