Lady D.'s Note:
As the title says, these cookies are my dad's absolute favorite. We only make them once or twice a year because they're so special. Delicious, yet surprisingly easy. *Note* The amount of flour you use will vary depending on the temp, humidity level, elevation, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Mix shortening, butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla thoroughly.
- 3Stir in soda and salt.
- 4One cup at a time, stir in flour until a dough has formed that isn't sticky and can be molded.
- 5(You may have to use less or more than the specified amt.) Halve dough and turn out on lightly floured board/wax paper.
- 6Shape each half into cylindrical rolls, about 1 1/2 in.
- 8Slice and bake on ungreased cookie sheets until slightly firm, but*not too brown*.
- 9(If they are too brown, they will get very hard when cool.) Keep an eye on them- generally, the bottom will have just started to turn brown when they are done.
- 10Don't worry if the top feels too soft because it will set when you take them out.
- 11**Fora twist, use 1-2 c of oatmeal in place of some of the flour.
- 12They're slightly chewier and bake a bit faster.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dad's Favorite Brown Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.0
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 20.7 mg
- Sodium 130.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 1.5 g