Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
As the title says, these cookies are my dad's absolute favorite. We only make them once or twice a year because they're so special. Delicious, yet surprisingly easy. *Note* The amount of flour you use will vary depending on the temp, humidity level, elevation, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix shortening, butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla thoroughly.
- Stir in soda and salt.
- One cup at a time, stir in flour until a dough has formed that isn't sticky and can be molded.
- (You may have to use less or more than the specified amt.) Halve dough and turn out on lightly floured board/wax paper.
- Shape each half into cylindrical rolls, about 1 1/2 in.
- Slice and bake on ungreased cookie sheets until slightly firm, but*not too brown*.
- (If they are too brown, they will get very hard when cool.) Keep an eye on them- generally, the bottom will have just started to turn brown when they are done.
- Don't worry if the top feels too soft because it will set when you take them out.
- **Fora twist, use 1-2 c of oatmeal in place of some of the flour.
- They're slightly chewier and bake a bit faster.