2 hrs 20 mins
This recipe is my Dad's recipe that he's been making for years. It is always a hit in our house and one of my favorite dishes. This chili is pretty spicy, so if you can't take the heat, reduce the amount of red pepper and cayenne pepper. Last thing -- you have to have this chili over rice, otherwise it's just not complete! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 (26 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1Brown beef in skillet and drain fat.
- 2Heat oil in separate frying pan and add 1/2 of the chopped onions, sauté until soft, but not brown.
- 3In blender, purify the other 1/2 of onion, the red bell pepper, garlic, black pepper, and tomato puree.
- 4Pour the blended ingredients, ground beef, and sautéed onions into a crock pot or a large stock pot.
- 5Add the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, chipotle, cayenne pepper, crushed red peppers, chili powder and stir.
- 6Simmer in pot for about 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- 7The longer you leave it cooking on low heat, the more the spices and seasonings will blend together and the better it will be.
- 8Serve over cooked white rice.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dad's Famous Chili Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.4
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 439.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 35.9 g