Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is my Dad's recipe that he's been making for years. It is always a hit in our house and one of my favorite dishes. This chili is pretty spicy, so if you can't take the heat, reduce the amount of red pepper and cayenne pepper. Last thing -- you have to have this chili over rice, otherwise it's just not complete! Enjoy!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 (26 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- Brown beef in skillet and drain fat.
- Heat oil in separate frying pan and add 1/2 of the chopped onions, sauté until soft, but not brown.
- In blender, purify the other 1/2 of onion, the red bell pepper, garlic, black pepper, and tomato puree.
- Pour the blended ingredients, ground beef, and sautéed onions into a crock pot or a large stock pot.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, chipotle, cayenne pepper, crushed red peppers, chili powder and stir.
- Simmer in pot for about 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- The longer you leave it cooking on low heat, the more the spices and seasonings will blend together and the better it will be.
- Serve over cooked white rice.
This chili was great! I made some changes based on our taste and what I had in the house. I used 1lb. ground beef and 1lb. chorizo (can use sausage & its better if its not in the casing = less work). I didn't have the cayenne, chipotle or red pepper so I used hot sauce instead. I cut the chili powder to 2 Tbsp and added 1 Tbsp cumin. I used fresh tomatoes too. Thanks for the recipe! We really enjoyed it and I'll definately pass this on to friends.