Dad's barbecue pork spareribs with Dad's Famous Barbecue Sauce are mouthwatering good, barbecued or baked.
- 5 lbs pork spareribs
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground leaf thyme
- 1 teaspoon hickory smoke salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pint barbecue sauce (Dad's Famous Barbecue Sauce)
- PREHEAT oven to 300°F.
- COMBINE the RUB ingredients in a small bowl.
- RUB mixture evenly over ribs (save any spare seasoning rub for another use).
- POUR one inch of apple juice (or water) into a roasting pan; WRAP ribs with foil and place into pan, foil-seam up; PLACE foil-wrapped ribs into roasting pan; BAKE between 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 hours (replenish liquid in pan as needed).
- MEANWHILE prepare Recipe #436708: WHISK all of the SAUCE ingredients together in a medium saucepan: One 7 oz. jar Dynasty brand plum sauce, 6 tablespoons tomato paste, 1/4 cup Apipharm brand Thyme and Wild Flower honey, 1/4 cup A-1 steak sauce, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 2 tablespoons Frank's buffalo wing sauce, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 1 tablespoon pineapple juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons mesquite liquid smoke flavoring, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice, 1 teaspoon Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon onion salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard; SIMMER sauce over low heat for 30 minutes, whisking occasionally; REMOVE from heat.
- REMOVE baked ribs from oven and pour off the fat.
- BASTE all sides of ribs with the SAUCE (Funnel extra untouched sauce into a plastic squeeze bottle or Ball canning jar then store refrigerated and capped).
- BARBECUE/GRILLING METHOD: PREHEAT grill to medium heat; SET grate four inches above coals/heat source; BRUSH grill grate with vegetable oil; PLACE ribs on grill; BASTE ribs with sauce occasionally; TURN ribs as needed; REMOVE ribs from grill when the sauce caramelizes and edges are lightly charred, without overcooking (about 15 minutes, or just slightly longer).
- BAKING METHOD: Preheat oven temp to 450°F Bake ribs unwrapped, top side down, for 8-10 minutes. SLIDE oven rack out carefully using oven mitts; TURN ribs over carefully with tongs; BASTE the top again with sauce; BAKE for a remainder of 8-10 minutes or until the sauce caramelizes and edges are lightly charred, without overcooking; ALLOW ribs to cool 10 minutes before serving.
- SERVE and ENJOY!