Recipe by Mmmmm..bacon....
My dad has been making this soup for years. It's easy to prepare and really delicious I began using turkey Italian sausage to make it a little healthier, regular Italian sausage was in the original. It has been in my private recipe box for a while, I decided to post when my decidedly anti-bean 9 year old ate two bowls!
- 12 ounces Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 14 1⁄2 ounces beef broth
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 1-2 TBSP oil to pan. Brown sausage with onions and garlic. (If you do not have fresh oregano, add 1-2 tsp dried oregano in this step.).
- Stir in black beans (undrained), broth and crushed fennel seed. ( I crush seeds with a mortar and pestle or in the spice grinder.).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes and oregano and heat thoroughly.
- Combine red pepper and sour cream.
- Top each bowl with a dollop of spiced sour cream.
- Notes- I use low fat/ low sodium beef broth. Fire roasted diced tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes work wonderfully. I add the tomatoes at the end because I find they break down too much otherwise, if you like your tomatoes more broken down add them with the beans.