Recipe by sklhczech
Am posting this recipe in memory of my dad who passed away Oct. 14, 2009. He made this every year when we butchered a beef and we always looked forward to him making this. This is time consuming, but makes a huge amount and freezes well. We seldom froze any though, as we usually ate it until it was gone!
- 1 beef heart
- 12 -16 cups water
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (26 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (11 ounce) box quick-cooking barley
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beef heart in large kettle and cover with 12 cups water. I use a large stockpot for this. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 4-5 hours or until heart is tender. May need to add more water while cooking to keep meat covered. I usually add at least 4 more cups of water while it is cooking.
- Once heart is tender, remove heart from broth and let cool. Cube meat into 1-2 inch pieces and return to broth.
- Add in onions, potatoes, carrots and bay leaves. Cook on medium low heat for at least 4 hours.
- Stir in mushrooms, mushroom soup and barley. Simmer at least another hour or until barley is tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- The longer this cooks, the better it is. I have made this by cooking the heart one day, letting the heart and the broth cool over night and then putting it on the stove and finishing it the next day.
- Can also make this by cooking the heart on the stove, let cool and cube the meat, then put all remaining ingredients into a large roaster and cover and put in the oven and bake at 300 for 6 hours.