Prep 24 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
this takes a while to cook, but the flavor and aromas are well worth it
- 2 lbs dried great northern beans, soaked overnight
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- soak beans overnight, drain.
- add beans to large pot, cover w/water, bring to boil, lower to simmer for 1 hour preheat oven to 300.
- in ovenproof dish mix next 7 ingredients.
- saute bacon until semi cooked, add to dish.
- add onions, beans, mix and bake 2 hours, covered.
- add rum and bake uncovered 1 hour.
This was very good. I prefer mine to be a little more sweet (next time I will use a little less molasses). It was easy to prepare and came out thick, which is the way we like them. I will make these for our next family BBQ!