Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Years ago DH was closing up his apartment after a hard semester at school. He was down to only a few items in the kitchen: a boxed macaroni and cheese dinner, 1 can of peas and 1 can of tuna. The result was this dish that has come in so handy over the years. Our kids still love it.
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) box macaroni & cheese dinner mix
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) canof young small early peas, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Cook the macaroni and per package directions, drain.
- Return macaroni to pan adding the butter, milk and cheese envelope; mixing well.
- Stir in the tuna and peas.
- Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stir frequently to prevent burning.
I used Kraft Deluxe Mac and cheese boxed mix, 2 cans of tuna, frozen peas, and about 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper. Super easy and delicious.
This is one of those dishes that brings back memories for me. My daddy used to make this for me when I was little. We were both huge tuna fish fans, but no one in the house seemed to like it so he would always whip up a batch just for us. Now as an adult I make this for myself when I need a little comfort.. I've never added Cream of mushroom soup because of an allergy, but I have substituted 1/2 cup of heavy cream instead of the milk and that always seemed to give it that extra creaminess. I also add 1/2 tsp of pepper. YUMMY!
My fiance and I thought this was okay. It was probably an improvement on plain mac n' cheese, but it was a little bland.