Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe is from Christy Jordan's new cookbook Southern Plate. Love her, love her blog, posting here for safe-keeping!
- 2 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- melted butter for brushing on biscuit
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Plavee flout in large bowl. Cut butter with fork until crumbly.
- Cover and place in fridge 10 minutes.
- Slowly pour in buttermilk and stir hust until moistened.
- Turn dough unto floured surface and knead 3-4 times with your hands, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- With well-floured hands pat dough out into the center as if folding letter. Repeat 2-3 more times, beginning with patting the dough out.
- Pat the dough out a final time until it is 1/2" thick.
- Cut with biscuit cutter dipped in flour and place the biscuits on the baking sheet with the sides touching.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove biscuits from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter.
I made these biscuits this week-end. I am always on the look out for a great biscuit recipe and this recipe fits the bill. They roll nice and high and were absolutely delicous. We did eat them with sausage gravy, but they were even better with eggs, cheese and sausage in between. They have just a hint of buttermilk flavor. I am teaching my nieces how to cook biscuits and this is one of the recipes we are going to use.