Recipe by mommymakeit4u
This is our families favourite way to make enchiladas. You can add hot sauce to the chicken while cooking in the crock pot, but we have to keep it on the mild side for our daughter.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa (mild or hot)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix (or 1 tbsp homemade taco seasoning)
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (or tex mex style)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken, salsa, taco seasoning and garlic in crock pot. Cook on low for 5-6 hours until it can be shred. Shred chicken.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Fill each tortilla with even amounts of chicken. Divide 1 cup of cheese on top of chicken. Fold and place in baking dish seam side down.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan, add flour whisking to make a roux. Bring to a boil and slowly add chicken stock. Bring back to a boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and green chilis.
- Spread on top of enchiladas, and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.