Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is an awesome one for dad to use when Mom goes late at work or when you do most of the cooking. Simple and easily augmented by herbs and other things.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1 can of canned diced tomato (Ro-tel if you like it spicy)
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup of uncooked regular long grain rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves or 4 bone in chicken breast halves
- Mix soup, water, rice, paprika, tomatoes, and black pepper in a shallow baking dish.
- Stir and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Add chicken on top on mixture, cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 45 minutes.(Temperature and time will most likely vary with oven strength)
- Possible Augmentation(s): Sliced red onion on top of the chicken, Sprinkle grated cheese on the dish during the last five minutes.
- Add any herb or spice (marjoram, sage, thyme, curry, etc.) to the mixture before cooking.
- A way to avoid crunchy rice is to soak the rice for about 15-20 minutes before adding to the mixture.
The flavor is there but there are problems with the recipe. Baking @ 375 degrees for 45 minutes is no where near enough. I baked it for an hour and it was still very runny and the rice was crunchy. It finally was done at about 1.5 hours. At that point,the chicken was very dried out. I mixed a tad of cheese in with the rice and decided that if not for the flaws in cooking time, it would have been a pretty good dinner. I will try it again with some changes. First, I will up the oven temp to about 400. I will also cover it with foil before I put it in the oven, to try and keep some of the moisture in so the chicken doesn't dry out. I think by using the same stragegy that one would use with no peek chicken it could turn out to be pretty good. Sorry for not giving more than two stars but I didn't think it would be fair to go any higher on a recipe that doesn't have the times worked out correctly.