Recipe by gwen_ison
My dad used to make this for us kids when my mom was too tried to cook.There was 10 kids in my family, Only the first one was my half brother. There are nine girls and two boys. So this is fast and easy, most of all very good and filling.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I assume that the 32 ounces whole chicken refers to canned (thats what my mom fed us 5 kids back in the 50's for quick weeknight meals). I don't think the whole chickens are available anymore. I tried to stay faithful to the original premise of the recipe for easy and economical (and to make a smaller portion). Since the original canned chicken was half broth, I used a 9 ounce can of chicken breast chunks, both cans of broth, 1/2 cup milk, 1 tablespoon butter, and 2 cans of biscuits. I think what I ended up with is like your Daddy's: stick-to-your-ribs comfort food. Thanks for sharing his recipe with us. Made and enjoyed for PAC Spring '09.
- 32 ounces whole chickens
- 2 (12 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 8 (10 count) cans refrigerated biscuits
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Open chicken, put it in large pot. heat to boiling. Take out bones when chicken starts to fall off, take out any skin.
- Add broth, lower heat to medium. Take biscuits and pull apart dropping pieces of them into pot, use all the biscuits.
- After 5 minute turn to low.
- Stir so it won't stick to bottom.
- Add milk, salt pepper, and butter.
- It is done when most of the dumplings go to the bottom.
- From start to finish it takes about 30 to 45 minutes.