Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My dad has been making this for years and I just adore it. Omit the cheese for it to be vegan.
- 1 cup black olives, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients (except cheese) in a casserole dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes, top with cheddar and cook another 15 minutes, or until liquid is gone.
My husband and I are in the process of gradually going vegan and loved this easy flavorful recipe. We substituted asparagus for the mushrooms and used sharp white cheddar since we had them on hand. Looking forward to making it again!
i give it some hot sauce when i serve it. it's pretty bland otherwise. i think next time I'll try some bouillon in it. easy and yummy!
My daughter and I loved it.... she's 10 months and I had a tough time giving her veggies and she gobbled it up... it was fast, easy to make, and delicious. Thanks for the recipe! Make it a great day!