I created this sandwich as an alternative to the standard Cuban sandwich that my 6 year old daughters would eat for lunch. It's simple and they love it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (any kind will do, but a bakery bread is better)
- 8 ounces deli ham or 8 ounces turkey, thinly sliced and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces cheese (any kind, shredded or thinly sliced )
- 1 large sweet onion, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons Miracle Whip
- 4 tablespoons light margarine
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1Put the oil, minced green peppers, onions, garlic, cumin and dill into a fry pan and fry over medium heat until peppers and onions are cooked through. Keep stirring.
- 2Take the pepper and onion mixture out of the pan and set aside.
- 3Fry the ham in the pan until just slightly browned. Remove from heat.
- 4Spread the Dijon mustard onto one side of your bread.
- 5Put 1/4 of the onion/green pepper mixture onto the slice of bread.
- 6Put 1/4 of the ham on top of the onion/pepper mixture.
- 7Put 1/4 of the cheese on top of the ham.
- 8Spread the Miracle Whip on the other slice of bread and place on top of the cheese.
- 9Now spread the margarine with the garlic powder on it (or you can use garlic butter) on top of the sandwich.
- 10Turn on the fry pan to medium heat and carefully flip the sandwich, margarine side down into the pan.
- 11Put another fry pan on top of this sandwich to weight it down. (You can use a griddle with a lid on it like a panini grill instead).
- 12After a few minutes, flip over the sandwich and spread some more margarine w/garlic powder on the bread and replace the pan.
- 13Fry for a few minutes on medium heat until the bread is brown.
- 14Remove from heat, cut into slices, and serve warm with fresh fruit.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Daddy R's Kid Friendly Cuban Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 533.7
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.6 mg
- Sodium 1757.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 28.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: