Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my dad & mom's french toast recipe. Mom contributed the vanilla and Dad contributed the cinnamon. =) This is best with a thick bread like challah or french bread, but sandwich bread will work too.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the bread and blend well.
- Melt a pat of butter on the griddle for each slice of bread.
- Soak the bread in the egg mixture.
- Place a slice of soaked bread on top of a melted butter pat, and cook on low for 15 minutes.
- While cooking, sprinkle each slice with more cinnamon if desired.
- When almost done, place another pat of butter on top of each slice so it starts melting.
- When done cooking, flip the toast over and brown on the other side.
- Serve with hot maple syrup.
This was totally delicious, MistyCat82. I really enjoyed it. The cinnamon and vanilla were the perfect amount, but I found that 3 eggs were plenty for the egg mixture (4 eggs would have been too many). For the bread, I used thick Texas Toast and it was a good choice. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for the Spring 2014 Pick-A-Chef event.