Prep 12 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is a salad that aaccompanies meat and rice on plate lunches. Accoring to "Kona on My Plate.Hawaiins prefer Best Foods mayonnaise as their cholesterol-delivery system of choice.
- 8 cups cooked macaroni, chilled
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled and minced
- 1 large waimea onion, finely diced (or use Maui or other sweet onion)
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 can tuna (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (or more)
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 cups frozen peas, defrosted in cold water and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Boil the whole, unpeeled potatoes in water to cover until cooked firm, not mushy.
- Add cold water to pot and let potatoes set for 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and peel off skins.
- Cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl combine macaroni, potatoes, eggs, onion and celery and mix until blended.
- Add 1 cup mayonnaise (mixed with drained tuna, if desired) and mustard to macaroni mixture and mix gently not crushing the potatoes.
- Add more mayonnaise as needed until mixture is coated and appearance is creamy.
- Fold in grated carrot and peas.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Flavors blend best when made and chilled a day ahead.
I made this recipe this afternoon for dinner with luau pork tomorrow. Tasted it, and quess what
we had for supper! Maybe I'm hungry for summer but this just absolutely did it for me. I can't image how it could possible be better when the flavors mingle. Thanks for my new go to macaroni salad recipe! I omitted the tuna, personal preference. I can hardly wait to try it tomorrow. It was supper with a piece of homemade bread, don't tell the carb police! tehe!
This was very tasty! I made the recipe exactly, only quartered at the warnings of huge batches in the reviews - I still got a medium-sized bowl filled to the top with macaroni goodness! Thanks so much for sharing this!
When I make this recipe I half it, & omit the potatoes. I still end up with a huge bowl. I made it for a BBQ early this summer & I've been asked to bring it for numerous other BBQs since. This one is definately a keeper.