12 hrs 20 mins
This is a salad that aaccompanies meat and rice on plate lunches. Accoring to "Kona on My Plate.Hawaiins prefer Best Foods mayonnaise as their cholesterol-delivery system of choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups cooked macaroni, chilled
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled and minced
- 1 large waimea onion, finely diced (or use Maui or other sweet onion)
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 can tuna (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (or more)
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 cups frozen peas, defrosted in cold water and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1Boil the whole, unpeeled potatoes in water to cover until cooked firm, not mushy.
- 2Add cold water to pot and let potatoes set for 15 minutes.
- 3Drain potatoes and peel off skins.
- 4Cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 5In a large bowl combine macaroni, potatoes, eggs, onion and celery and mix until blended.
- 6Add 1 cup mayonnaise (mixed with drained tuna, if desired) and mustard to macaroni mixture and mix gently not crushing the potatoes.
- 7Add more mayonnaise as needed until mixture is coated and appearance is creamy.
- 8Fold in grated carrot and peas.
- 9Add lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix gently but thoroughly.
- 10Flavors blend best when made and chilled a day ahead.
Nutritional Facts for Da Kine Macaroni Salad
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.4
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 51.5 mg
- Sodium 225.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 15.3 g