1/1 Photo of " Da Best" Chicago-Style Italian Beef
10 hrs 45 mins
8 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Tender, garlicky and full of oregano 'n stuff! Start this one a day ahead; the beef slices need an overnight stay in da gravy to be at their best. And please don't overcook the roast! As it rests right out of the oven and as it's reheated it'll stop mooing! Serve on crusty Italian sandwich rolls; add sauteed peppers if you like, but too much more and it starts looking like a Philly steak 'n cheese, a whole other beast. Prep time includes overnight marinating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 lb) rump roast (please don't use chuck roast, too stringy and greasy)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse-grind black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Sprinkle the roast with garlic powder, oregano and pepper, then cook roast, uncovered, in a shallow roasting pan, about 30 minutes per pound.
- 3Roast will be very rare-- don't overcook it!
- 4Let cool slightly, then thinly slice.
- 5Add to the roast's pan drippings: the boiling water, bouillon cubes, oregano, thyme, pepper, Tabasco sauce, garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
- 6Simmer for 20 minutes, scraping up the browned bits.
- 7Taste for salt and add some if you wish.
- 8Add the sliced beef; cover and marinate in da gravy overnight.
- 9Reheat the next day and serve in crusty Italian sandwich rolls.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for " Da Best" Chicago-Style Italian Beef
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.6
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 243.1 mg
- Sodium 517.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 67.7 g