Recipe by yooper
Haven't made this one yet, but this sounds like something a die hard Yooper Packer fan would serve to a crowd for Sunday football!
Top Review by Debber
Super Bowl Winner! Tastes like "a touchdown!" We "punted" since we didn't have all the fillings called for, which the special team "rushed" and "tackled" to their mouths with great enthusiasm. Made two loaves, fitted to my loaf pans, cooked one (no leftovers or should I say "turnovers"?), froze the other one (the reserve team). And guess what? I'm a Packer fan, too....and I even know what a Yooper is, too!
- 1 cup instant rice
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 lb ground beef round
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- garlic powder
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can spinach, drained
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced deli ham
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced salami
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease a shallow roasting pan.
- Prepare instant rice according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, mix together ground sirloin, ground round, egg, chopped onion, green pepper, mushrooms and cooked rice.
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- On clean counter top, arrange sheets of wax paper approximately 1 1/2 feet long by 1 foot wide.
- Place meat mixture on wax paper, and flatten into a large square, about 1/2 inch thick (the thinner the better).
- Sprinkle with more garlic powder, then layer with parmesan, spinach, ham, salami and Swiss cheese.
- Using the wax paper, roll the meat as tightly as possible while removing the wax paper as you go.
- Tuck the two open ends into the meatloaf itself, and with hands lightly coated in vegetable oil, shape into a loaf.
- While lifting with the wax paper, transfer to shallow roasting pan, then slide wax paper out from underneath.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.