Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
A quick fresh cheese from chef Nancy Silverton (Mozza). Only four ingredients and 30 minutes to deliciousness! It's not a "true" ricotta, but it's much better than anything you'll find in the mass packaging in the grocery!
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or white vinegar)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring just to a boil without stirring.
- Immediately remove pan from heat. Add the lemon juice or vinegar and stir gently for 30 seconds. Add the salt and stir gently for 30 seconds.
- Let mixture stand for 15 minutes at room temperature. In a bit, the curds will begin to separate from the whey.
- If only a few curds form, the lemon may not be acidic enough; add another 1 tbsp lemon juice, gently stirring so you don't break up the curds too much Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Using a large straining spoon, spoon curds into a cheesecloth-lined sieve set over a large bowl and let drain.
- The longer you drain, the denser and more flavorful the cheese will be.