Recipe by lolablitz
This is one of my father's culinary masterpieces! A beautifully flavorful soup that is very healthy and inexpensive to make. You can substitute parsnips and/or turnips for the celeriac.
Top Review by i8ntproverbs31
I had to make a few changes due to cooking time restraints and ingredient issues (acorn for winter squash, parsnips for celeriac, crushed tomatoes for puree) I sauteed all the veggies together. But all in all I stayed fairly true to the recipee, and it was delicious. I did add a substanital amount of water because I was feeding 4 adults and 9 children, but everyone liked it and thats the important part. Thanks for sharing.
- 3 -4 lbs beef shank, bone-in
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, add more to taste
- 2 cups winter squash, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup leek, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon honey
- 3 carrots, sliced into thin coins
- celeriac, cut into thin straws (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, whole peeled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently cook bones and 3 bay leaves in 3 to 4 quarts of water with 1 ½ tbsp of salt for 3 to 4 hours.
- Put in enough water to barely cover bones/meat. Skim foam off every so often. Add a little water now & then to keep bones covered.
- When meat is falling off the bones remove and reserve.
- Sauté the veggies before adding to the soup, to enhance the flavor.
- Sauté the onions and celery with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Add to soup.
- Slightly brown cubed squash. Add leeks, garlic and 1/2 tsp thyme cook until softened and fragrant. Add 1/2 tsp honey. Add to soup.
- Sauté carrots and celeriac with salt and pepper, and add 1/2 tsp sage moments before adding the vegetables to the soup.
- If using canned tomatoes, break apart into 4 pieces with hands and add ot the pot, (add a little honey if using canned tomatoes).
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove and break up meat from bones. Put small pieces into the pot along with the kale and simmer 10 more minutes.