Recipe by T. Woolfe
Old fashioned slow cooked baked beans. I do a batch and freeze portions in the Vac Bags for boil-n-serve. Great picnic dish almost main dish with the meatiness.
Top Review by TKDGoddess
I just got a pressure cooker and was trying to find a recipe with ingredients I had on hand to try it out. EXCELLENT for a first time pressure cooker recipe. Now I'm hooked on my pressure cooker and this recipe. Thanks so much!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry pinto beans
- 5 cups water
- 2 -4 smoked ham hocks (depending on meatiness, or the pre joint end of a ham, bone & skin in, don't spare the meat)
- 1 large yellow onion, very coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (maybe a bit more if you like it sweet)
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup catsup (a good squirt)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (a smaller squirt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (10 ounce) can black beans (I know that's cheating)
- 1 medium red onion, med fine chop
Directions See How It's Made
- This involves a pressure cooker.
- If you don't have one I'm guessing 2 1/4 hrs first cooking time, covered, rather than 45 min (X3 rule). Put the beans and water in the pressure cooker 5 minutes at 15 lbs to soak, fast cool and drain (or use your favorite soaking method).
- Cut the biggest chunks of fat off the hock and discard.
- Score through the skin and put the hock, yellow onion, very coarsely chopped, the beans (piled around the hock), liquid smoke, and enough of the soaking liquid to barely cover.
- NO salt or other seasonings.
- Cook at pressure for 45 minutes.
- Fast cool and remove the ham bones and skin, the meat will fall off the bones and the beans will be tender skinned.
- Carefully mix in all the other ingredients.
- Set your oven at 240°F and put in the UNCOVERED bean pot,.
- After four hours or so add the red onion and can of black beans (I've been known to add a can of garbanzos also). Stir once.
- Give it another couple hours until it reaches the consistency you want, then enjoy.
- These actually freeze well, when there is any left to.