7 hrs 20 mins
T. Woolfe's Note:
Old fashioned slow cooked baked beans. I do a batch and freeze portions in the Vac Bags for boil-n-serve. Great picnic dish almost main dish with the meatiness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups dry pinto beans
- 5 cups water
- 2 -4 smoked ham hocks (depending on meatiness, or the pre joint end of a ham, bone & skin in, don't spare the meat)
- 1 large yellow onion, very coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (maybe a bit more if you like it sweet)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup catsup (a good squirt)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (a smaller squirt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (10 ounce) can black beans (I know that's cheating)
- 1 medium red onion, med fine chop
- 1This involves a pressure cooker.
- 2If you don't have one I'm guessing 2 1/4 hrs first cooking time, covered, rather than 45 min (X3 rule). Put the beans and water in the pressure cooker 5 minutes at 15 lbs to soak, fast cool and drain (or use your favorite soaking method).
- 3Cut the biggest chunks of fat off the hock and discard.
- 4Score through the skin and put the hock, yellow onion, very coarsely chopped, the beans (piled around the hock), liquid smoke, and enough of the soaking liquid to barely cover.
- 5NO salt or other seasonings.
- 6Cook at pressure for 45 minutes.
- 7Fast cool and remove the ham bones and skin, the meat will fall off the bones and the beans will be tender skinned.
- 8Carefully mix in all the other ingredients.
- 9Set your oven at 240°F and put in the UNCOVERED bean pot,.
- 10After four hours or so add the red onion and can of black beans (I've been known to add a can of garbanzos also). Stir once.
- 11Give it another couple hours until it reaches the consistency you want, then enjoy.
- 12These actually freeze well, when there is any left to.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for D,btag Beans Aka Atomite Beans
Serving Size: 1 (2265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.9
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 342.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hocks