Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This is a recipe from the cookie contest currently in progress in the LA Times. This is an old family recipe with tender, buttery crust, red strawberry jam filling and snowy, white powdered sugar on top. Pretty, delicious and simple to make, these cookies will enhance your cookie tray.
- 1⁄2 lb butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time and blend well. Add flour and mix well. Stir in walnuts.
- Spoon half of butter mixture into prepared pan and press down evenly. Top with jam. Cover with remaining dough by spoonfuls.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on rack. Sift powdered sugar over.