Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A beautiful bread from Eastern Europe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 7 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk, 1/2 cup water, margarine, sugar and salt to 120 (or very warm) stirring frequently. In a large mixer bowl, combine 3 cups flour and yeast. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Beat for several minutes, then beat in the whole eggs. Add enough flour to make a dough that cleans the sides of the bowl. Turn out on a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wash and grease a large bowl. Place dough in greased bowl and turn dough to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until double, about 45 minutes. Punch dough down.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Grease a 15x10 inch baking sheet or two smaller baking sheets. Divide 1 piece of dough into 3 equal parts. Roll each into a rope about 12 inches long. On the baking sheet, braid the three parts, loosely fastening ends. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let ruse until light (braids will not be doubled).
- Preheat oven to 400. Make egg wash by mixing egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water just enough to combine. Brush braids with egg wash. Bake until bread is a deep golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom, 30-40 minutes.