Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- Set oven at 325 degrees (mod. slow).
- Grease an 8-inch square cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter until soft.
- Gradually add the sugar, creaming until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and blend well.
- Gradually add the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Then fold in chopped nuts.
- Spoon half the batter into the cake pan, spreading evenly.
- Top with strawberry jam and cover with the remaining cookie dough.
- Bake one hour or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, cool and cut into 1 x 2-inch bars.
- While warm, sprinkle lightly with sifted powdered sugar.
- Double the recipe for a large pan.
I love these cookies. Recipe sounds just like the ones my Hungarian Mom made every Christmas. I have her recipe and now I make them. Always been one of my favorite holiday cookies.
this recipe is very similar to how my grandmother made her cookies. Brought me back to my childhood in Plzen, Czechoslavakia. Thanks!
My goodness.... I remember my slovak gramma making these when I was a kid. Totally forgot about them till I found this recipe. Just like hers. Can't thank you enough for this.