3 hrs 10 mins
Originally from A Taste Of The Country cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef bones with marrow
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 coarsely chopped and pared carrots
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 cups water
- 8 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (1 head)
- 2 (1 lb) cans tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (1 lb) can sauerkraut
- 1Place beef bones, onions, carrots, garlic and bay leaf in roasting pan. Top with short ribs; sprinkle with type and paprika.
- 2Roast, uncovered, in 450 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until meat is brown.
- 3Transfer meat and vegetables into a large kettle.
- 4Using a small amount of water, scrape browned meat bits from roasting pan into kettle.
- 5Add water, cabbage, tomatoes, salt and Tabasco; bring to a boil.
- 6Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- 7Skim off fat, and add parsley, lemon juice, sugar and sauerkraut.
- 8Cook, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- 9Remove bones and short ribs from kettle.
- 10Cool slightly and remove meat from bones.
- 11Cut meat into cubes and return to kettle. Cook 5 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Czechoslovakian Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.3
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 57.4 mg
- Sodium 705.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef bones with marrow