Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My grandmother was from Prague Czechoslovakian came to American in 1902. This is her recipe.
Make and share this Czechoslovakian Beef Roast With Dill Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- In a large pot.
- Add your water-beef roast-celery-carrots.
- Bring the pot to a boil.
- Then let it simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.
- This is just like you were making soup.
- If you want to skip this part. Just add instead of water 4-cans of beef broth. This is just the old fashion way of making beef broth.
- After 1 1/2 hours of cooking take the beef out of the pot.
- You should have about 2 1/2 cups of beef broth left in the pot.
- put in the dill and bring the pot to a boil.
- Then add the sour cream-sugar-white vinegar and mix very well.
- Then add the flour mix very well so there are no lumps.
- Then put the beef back in the pot and cook for about 1/2 hour. If the gravy is a little thin add little flour till it is thick the way you like it. After it is done taste the gravy you may like to add a little salt. You can put this over wide noodles-potatoes or I like bread dumplings. Tell me how you like it.
Having had many different styles of this dish (Koprova Omacka), it is good, but I think something might be missing, or that it doesn't translate to US ingredients as well as some other Czech sauces. I will play with it a bit to try to get the right balance of sweet and sour in the base sauce and let you know. Thanks for the recipe