Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My grandmother was from Prague Czechoslovakian came to American in 1902. This is her recipe.
Make and share this Czechoslovakian Beef Roast With Dill Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- In a large pot.
- Add your water-beef roast-celery-carrots.
- Bring the pot to a boil.
- Then let it simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.
- This is just like you were making soup.
- If you want to skip this part. Just add instead of water 4-cans of beef broth. This is just the old fashion way of making beef broth.
- After 1 1/2 hours of cooking take the beef out of the pot.
- You should have about 2 1/2 cups of beef broth left in the pot.
- put in the dill and bring the pot to a boil.
- Then add the sour cream-sugar-white vinegar and mix very well.
- Then add the flour mix very well so there are no lumps.
- Then put the beef back in the pot and cook for about 1/2 hour. If the gravy is a little thin add little flour till it is thick the way you like it. After it is done taste the gravy you may like to add a little salt. You can put this over wide noodles-potatoes or I like bread dumplings. Tell me how you like it.
Having had many different styles of this dish (Koprova Omacka), it is good, but I think something might be missing, or that it doesn't translate to US ingredients as well as some other Czech sauces. I will play with it a bit to try to get the right balance of sweet and sour in the base sauce and let you know. Thanks for the recipe