Recipe by Sugar³
My husbands grandmother gave me this recipe. Now that she is no longer with us, I bake these every Christmas.
- 1⁄2 lb butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup knott berry farms strawberry preserves
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- powdered sugar, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and blend well, gradually add flour and mix thoroughly – dough well be really stiff.
- Fold in the pecans.
- Spoon a little than half of the dough into an 8x8 inch ungreased pan. Cover with preserves.
- Pat down the dough, making sure to form a little edge of dough around the pan (this will help to ensure that the preserves will not leak out and burn during baking).
- Using small handfuls of the remaining dough, pat the dough in your hands to form a small flat disk, lay on top of preserves, use up rest of the dough in the same manner, making sure that no preserves are left uncovered.
- Cover edges of dough with aluminum foil so that the edges will not brown to fast.
- Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- When the pan is cool, cut into small bars and dust with powdered sugar.