Recipe by pink cook
This is a good recipe to make Tomato Bread from The Czech Heritage Cookbook I have, and the recipe posted from Sabina Dvoracek.
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat tomato juice and margarine together until margarine is melted. Add sugar, salt and ketchup. Let cool to warm. Sprinkle dry yeast on warm water and stir until dissolved.
- Add tomato mixture and yeast to 3 cups flour. Beat with mixer at medium speed for two minutes. Add remaining flour a little at a time to form a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth, about 8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise until double. Punch down and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place in greased pans.
- Let rise again until almost double. Bake at 425ºF. oven for 25-30 minutes and cover after 10 minutes with aluminum foil to keep from getting too brown.