Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Old Czech cake recipe. I need to get the water level right. When I made this it was too moist, probably because the raisins in the old days were drier. The icing sets up as it cools; it is very liquid when warm and gets firmer when cold.
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- Boil raisins in water for10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add shortening and lemon juice.
- Sift salt, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, flour, and baking soda.
- Add to raisin mixture; beat well.
- Add egg; beat again; add walnuts.
- Pour into a greased cake pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes until done.
- For frosting, melt butter and brown sugar.
- Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add milk and continue stirring until mixture mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add powdered sugar until right spreading consistancy.