Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is part of my Czech heritage. My grandmother made these by the dozens to feed the 9 kids in the family when my dad and his brothers and sisters were growing up. All of the kids learned to make these and my dad made these every time we had roast duck or roast pork when I was growing up. They take some time to make and you will make a mess in your kitchen making them, but they are wonderful. The ladies at the local church make these by the hundreds for the annual Czech Days celebration every June to serve with the roast pork dinner that they sell at the hall. I usually make a double batch when I make them and then freeze the leftovers to have on hand when I don't have the time to make them. They are also great the next day sliced and fried in a little butter or sliced and mixed in with scrambled eggs.
- Peel and boil potatoes until done.
- Drain potatoes and mash.
- Do not add butter or milk.
- Cool potatoes in refrigerator until cold.
- Mix in order given.
- Mix well, and knead on a floured board until smooth.
- Divide dough in half and make each half of dough into a roll about 3 inches in diameter and about 12 inches long.
- Cut into dumplings about 2 inches long with a sharp knife that has been dipped in flour.
- While you are cutting the dumplings, bring a large stockpot about 2/3 full of water with 1 teaspoon of salt added to water to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add half of the dumplings to the water and stir so they don't stick to the bottom.
- Boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove from water with slotted spoon to drain.
- Place dumplings in roaster sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover and keep warm in oven set to low.
- Boil the rest of the dumplings, remove from water and add to roaster.
- These are wonderful eaten with butter or sauerkraut or gravy.
- I use all of my leftover mashed potatoes for this recipe.
- To freeze:.
- Place leftover dumplings on waxed paper lined baking sheets and freeze until solid.
- Remove from baking sheet and place in ziplock freezer bags to store in freezer.
- Will keep for 6 months in freezer.
This receipt was great. I remember my grandmother (Bubbi) fixing potato dumplings when I was a small boy in the 1950's in New Bohemia in Virginia.. I made them tonight and introduced my wife and step son to them.