Recipe by Dienia B.
Old way of making pea soup. You could make this vegetarian by adding vegetable stock instead of beef stock. Posted as written in recipe. There are split peas now and they may not take as long to cook as the old ones did. I think the reason they sieved it was to remove tough skin.
- 1 cup dried peas
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 pinch marjoram
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 potatoes, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup garlic-flavored croutons
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the peas overnight.
- Next day boil until peas until tender, 2 hours.
- Mash and put through sieve.
- Pour over it a good beef stock.
- Add a pinch of marjoram and a little minced garlic, 2 grated raw potatoes; allow to boil (cooking potatoes; make sure it doesn't stick to bottom and burn). Add salt and pepper.
- In meantime, blend a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of flour; cook until golden brown; add to soup and cook until thickened.
- Pour into tureen in which you have placed croutons. (I think you could just top your soup bowl with croutons).