Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The goulash is easy. The dumplings are a bit of work to put together. You can chose to serve it with bread instead.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot paprika (optional)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 potato
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 -5 slices white bread, use stale bread, cut into small cubes (trim hard crust off)
- Sauté onion and garlic in shortening until translucent.
- Add meat with spices and sauté till brown.
- Add water; simmer, covered, until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add finely grated potato into the meat and simmer 5 minutes stirring often.
- Serve with dumplings or bread.
- Mix together beaten egg, milk, flour, baking powder and salt until smooth.
- Add bread cubes to batter and mix well.
- Make two small loaves.
- Drop into large pot of vigorously boiling water. Cook 10 minutes, then roll dumpling over and cook an additional 10 minutes. Remove immediately from water and cut ends off to release steam.
- Cut into 1/2 inch slices and serve.
worst one i have ever tasted.
BLAND, takes a long time and not like any goulashes that I have ever seen in the Czech Republic. Don't waste your time.