1/1 Photo of Czech Goulash (the Real Thing)
1 hr 10 mins
This came from my Grandmother who received it from her mother who moved here from Czechoslovokia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs cubed beef, about 1/2 inch
- 2 lbs of cubed pork, about 1/2 inch
- 2 tablespoons oil, to brown your meat
- 2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 1 cup chopped onion (preferably sweet)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) bottle catsup (preferably Heinz)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup (preferably Campbells)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon good whiskey (I use Black Jack Daniels)
- 1Heat oil in large dutch oven (large stew pot) on high heat.
- 2Combine beef and pork and begin to brown in oil on all sides.
- 3When meat is browned on all sides add onion; add enough water to cover the meat and onions mixture.
- 4Tie pickling spices in a cheesecloth or, us a metal tea ball only half full.
- 5Spices will expand while cooking.
- 6Drop cheesecloth or teaball into meat mixture.
- 7Simmer mixture for 45 minutes.
- 8Add ingredients from cans, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, and catsup; stir mixture well.
- 9Finally add all the spices as measured, the vinegar and the WHISKEY!
- 10Turn fire or heat to a low setting and simmer for 1 hour with lid on the pot.
- 11Check and stir frequently to prevent the bottom from scorching or burning.
- 12THIS IS ALL GOING TO MAKE YOUR KITCHEN SMELL AWESOME AS IT SIMMERS-- After simmering for the 1 hour it is ready to serve in bowls with large spoons.
- 13OH YEAH< TAKE OUT THE PICKLING SPICE CONTAINER AND DISCARD TO THE SINK-- Ladle out and ENJOY!
- 14(AN OPTIONAL SERVING- Is to add 2 cups of egg noodles as you are simmering the soup till the noodles are tender. You may have to add a little more water for the noodles).
Browse Our Top Czech Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Czech Goulash (the Real Thing)
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1139.6
- Calories from Fat 856
- Total Fat 95.1 g
- Saturated Fat 37.5 g
- Cholesterol 207.5 mg
- Sodium 1186.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: