Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe from my Czech grandmother. The dumplings are a mess while they are boiling, but they plate nicely. Serve with drawn butter. We always had these served with boiled ham and sauerkraut. The recipe yields one dumpling -- which is around two servings. Also, these are good the second day fried up in a skillet with a little butter.
- Beat egg and milk together until smooth. Beat in flour and salt. Mixture will be thick: add a little more milk if needed.
- Beat about three minutes.
- Fold in bread cubes. Form into a rough cylinder.
- Allow mixture to sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Carefully drop dumpling into boiling water.
- Boil covered for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, and boil an additional 10 minutes.