Recipe by UmmBinat
This is delicious with a side of fresh salad (baby romaine topped with gourmet black olives & goat milk feta cheese) for a lovely light meal. This is even good without the potatoes, I sometimes add more water in as well. From the Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos.
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 5 cups water
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (unrefined is best)
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick over split peas, discarding any that are discoloured. Wash in several changes of cold water.
- Place in a deep pan and add the amount of water stated.
- Put on medium heat and bring to a boil, skimming when necessary. When boiling reduce heat to low and cover pot and simmer gently for one hour without stirring.
- Peel potatoes and cut into small dice leave in some cold water on the side so they do not dicolour.
- In a small pan fry onion in olive oil until lightly flecked with brown.
- Add potatoes, onion and oil to split peas. Cover and simmer for a further hour or until peas and potatoes are very soft. Do not stir during cooking as this can cause scorching.
- When cooked stir in sea salt to taste and puree. (I use a blender).
- Serve in deep plates with lemon wedges to be squeezed to individual taste. Additional olive oil is often drizzled onto the puree. Serve with a side of fresh salad topped with gourmet black olives & feta for a lovely light meal.