Recipe by nursecynthia
My variation of Polish Dill Pickle Soup. It's simple and delicious! Good comfort food for a cold day! The flavor can vary a lot by the pickle you use, you can use pickled or brined pickles. I used the pickled kind because I like the sour flavor from the vinegar. I always start with whole pickles because they are easier to grate. I recommend dicing everything to about 1/4 inch dice for this recipe.
- 2 cups grated dill pickles (no knuckles please)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pickle juice (from the jars)
- black pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- dill (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over medium and saute grated pickles for about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, carrot, potatoes, pickle juice, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer 20 minutes on low heat until potatoes are tender.
- Add some fresh ground black pepper to taste. This recipe usually doesn't require any added salt because the pickles lend enough of that on their own.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some dill, or eat it just as it is.