Recipe by Chef by Chance
This is from Jan Karon's Mitford cookbook. I love the walnuts with the carrots. This recipe is easily doubled or halved.
- 6 cups carrots, sliced 1/4inch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick skillet, combine the chicken stock, carrots, salt, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer for another 2 minutes. Then stir in 1/4 cup butter and the remaining sugar. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhilce, in a seperate skillet over low heat, melt 1 tbsp of butter and pour in the walnuts. Saute 8-10 minutes until toasted.
- Combine the carrots and walnuts in a serving dish. Serve immediately.