Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found a recipe online and adapted to my own likings and it turned out fantastic! I fell in love and I think this is my FAVORITE tofu dish right now!!
- 12 ounces firm tofu or 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 -3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro or 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Press the tofu for 10-15 minutes, You do this by putting the block of tofu on a plate, Place another plate on top and weight that plate with something heavy like a big can of tomatoes, Drain the liquid.
- You can skip this step but it makes the tofu a little meatier and less watery.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2" cubes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Stir in the ginger and add the garlic and onions and let saute for a few minutes.
- Add the tofu and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the tofu is lightly browned on most sides, about 5 minutes.
- Open can of tomatoes and crush with your hands into the skillet.
- Now add your curry powder, cinnamon, and chili powder.
- Stir occasionally until liquid from tomatoes has reduced.
- Add finely chopped cilantro or parsely (or both, as I do).
- Stir in and let cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve over hot rice!
This is very good an easy. Make sure to use a good quality curry powder, as that is the main flavor. I had to add peas because it wasn't until I was ready to cook that I realized I only had 8 oz of tofu! Also- want to add that the use of stewed tomatoes in this dish is great. I think diced or crushed would drown the tofu. Thank you for sharing this.
excellent recipe. I adapted a little, as we all do. Used fresh ginger, half a jalapena & diced up zucchine to saute with the tofu. I will be using this again & try different veggies in the mix. great sauce.