Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a hearty potato soup, great for cooler days. Use fat-free half and half for a richer, yet diet-friendly soup! Originally from a January 1985 issue of Bon Appetit in the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor section. The recipe was requested from the Cutlass Motor Lodge in Antigo, Wisconsin.
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 4 medium celery ribs, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, disolved in
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- Fry bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Pour off drippings.
- Melt butter in same pan over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and cook until slightly softened,stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add bacon, water, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add milk and heat through.
- Stir in disolved cornstarch and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.