This is the recipe that has been in our family and now my sisters and I all make this each Christmas. Could be made for any holiday!!! We then make a buttercream frosting and divide it into different bowls and add different colored food coloring drops to them. My mother always made the dough and cut out the cookies and baked them. The kids all got to frost and decorate them together. Hope you and your family enjoy them. NOTE: Time doesn't include chill time required to make dough workable.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar and then add in eggs.
- In a separate bowl or plastic bag, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Mix the dry ingredients in to the butter mixture.
- Cover bowl or put dough in a plastic bag and put in the refrigerator to chill for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Once chilled, take approximately 1/5 of the dough and place on lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to about 1/4 inch thickness and using flour dipped cookie cutters, cut out the dough and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes (oven temps vary so check around 7 mins).