Recipe by Ellen Brody
This is a recipe from my mom. I have not found one I like better yet. If you bake just right they come out soft and puffy! You can use this for any holiday just change the cutter and colored sugar.
Top Review by almostrachel
This will be my 3rd time making these and I know they will turn out just as perfect as my other batches!! Always super soft and yummy :) thanks so much for this wonderful recipe.
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream margarine, sugar and vanilla.
- Add eggs.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add to creamed.
- Chill 3 to 4 hours.
- I always leave over night and it is a lot easier to roll.
- On well floured surface roll 1/4-inch thick (I roll mine a little bit thicker-it makes nice puffy cookies).
- Use flour for rolling pin and cutters.
- Cut to desired shapes.
- Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes depending on thickness of cookies.